Compassionate. Zealous. Attentive. Prepared.

Photo of Attorney Pruitt seated on a tall stool
Photo of Attorney Pruitt seated on a tall stool

Modification & Enforcement Of Orders

Making Changes To Existing Orders

As the parties move forward with their lives following the conclusion of a divorce or child custody lawsuit, a material and substantial change may occur for a party or a child. When a material and substantial change makes a term in your existing custody or child support orders unworkable, it is necessary to petition the court for a modification. A petition for modification may seek a modification of conservatorship (including the right to establish the primary residence of the child and the geographic area of such residence), possession of and access to the child, child support or spousal support.

Examples of common issues that may support a modification include relocation, change in employment status, disability, and changes in a child’s schedule that occur as a child approaches adulthood.

Having seasoned, compassionate counsel to advise you during life changes may prove invaluable to maintaining your relationship with your child. As one former client stated, “My family issues continued over several years. As new issues arose, Kathryn was available to pick up where we had left off. The continuity of her service was tremendously valuable.”

Enforcing Existing Court Orders

If a party violates the terms of a divorce or custody decree, an enforcement case may be in order.

If your former spouse has failed to give you property or pay an amount he or she was ordered to pay under the decree (including but not limited to a property division equalization payment, spousal maintenance or contractual alimony), you should consult with an experienced family lawyer as soon as possible. In the case of property division matters, there are time limitations in the Texas Family Code that will bar your claims if you wait too long.

Enforcement matters may also relate to parenting plan provisions, such as one parent’s failure to surrender the child to the other parent at the end of a possession period, failure to pay child support, failure to provide health insurance as ordered, failure to reimburse uninsured medical expenses, and other matters.

If the other party has violated your divorce or custody orders, it is important to seek experienced family law counsel as quickly as possible, as the Texas Family Code imposes deadlines on prosecuting such cases. Kathryn and her team have substantial experience in prosecuting and defending enforcement cases. If the other party is violating your court orders, or they have accused you of violating your court orders, contact Pruitt Law Group, PLLC, to schedule a consultation. An experienced attorney will review the facts of your case, provide a candid assessment and recommend the best course of action.

To schedule a consultation with Kathryn or a member of her team in her Frisco office or via Zoom video conference, please send an email or call 469-888-8829.